- Preparation time
- 25 mins
- Cooking time
- 35 mins
- 10 people
- Meal course
- Posted by
- Posted on
- May 28, 2016
A uniquely flavored and aromatic orange pound cake with a touch of lavender and assorted flower spices. It’s an irresistible treat that goes perfectly with a cup of tea or coffee. And since you can find different varieties of oranges on the market, each with a different harvesting time, you can make this cake all-year-round. My favorite oranges are those from Florida. If you ever have a chance, you can visit a Florida Citrus Grove. Definitely worth stopping by!
If you like, you can prepare an orange curd on the side to be used as an ingredient to the orange pound cake. You can prepare the curd sweeter or more sour depending on your taste and how you prepare the curd ;). To make the curd sweeter, add more icing sugar, to make it more sour add more orange juice. Make it as you like it!
If you choose to make the orange curd, 1-3 Tbs may be added to the orange pound cake to tweak its flavour.
A great thing about this pound cake is its crunchy yet juicy crust. To build a great crust, it’s important to prepare the Bundt pan right. Normally, the pan is buttered and then covered with flour or bread crumbs. However, I take a note from my mum and often use corn crumbs instead of flour. I have tried it several times this way and it makes a great difference.
From this same recipe, you can make around 20 muffins. Just reduce the time of baking to around 20 minutes and do a quick toothpick test. However, the muffins will be much softer and you won’t get the same crunchy crust as for the pound cake. Enjoy!
If you like this recipe be sure to Yum It.Yum
- Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- Butter and flour the Bundt pan. You can also use bread or corn crumbs instead of flour.
- Sift the flour into a medium bowl. Add the remaining dry ingredients: sugar, baking powder, vanilla, flower and lavender spice.
- Melt the butter. In a larger bowl beat the eggs for 5min. Add the melted butter, the crème fraîche and beat for 1 more minute.
- In 3 steps add all dry ingredients together with milk, orange juice, curd (optional) and zest to the batter. Mix everything, but only until all ingredients are well combined, do not overbeat.
- Pour the batter into the Bundt pan and bake for around 50 minutes. Check the orange pound cake for doneness by sticking a toothpick into the center of your cake. If there is still any wet batter on the toothpick, bake it for few more minutes. If it comes out clean, your cake is done!